Saturday, April 11, 2015

Realizing We Can Fly

The story of Saul (Paul) fascinates me as the classic example of the power of the resurrected Christ.  As Jo says, "If Jesus was 'really real' to anyone, it was Paul."  I agree, if Christ hasn't been raised, our faith is useless and we're a people to be pitied.  But if Christ HAS been raised (and he has!), then our lives are revolutionized.  As Jo says, this is not a "nice plan or a moral formula or a value system but a living, breathing person who is with us always."

That means Jesus is with me right now.  As I write this.

To quote Jo again:  "[I]n the strangest of paradoxes, the testimonies of the ages suggest that we can be raised with Jesus not someday, not in some far-off time zone that has no relevance or us in the work and lives we enjoy on earth.  No, we're raised with him now."  The pressure is off, we can't earn or try harder for eternal life.  It's ours.

Kind of like jumping off a cliff and realizing we can fly.

How does the reality of Christ's resurrection change my perspective?   I came up with 10 ways, just for a start:

1)  I can freely share the gospel of Christ with my friend, knowing it's not my stuttering words, but only God's power that can draw her to himself.  He's the one who resurrects from death and sin, he's just given me the privilege of delivering the news.

2)  I can look in my mom's Alzheimer's-filled eyes and see Jesus.  I can tell her with confidence that I'll see her in heaven (she's a believer), and say I look forward to sitting down for coffee to catch up on all we can't say to each other right now.  I don't have to grieve like the world does, without hope.

3)  I can know as I watch the evening news (like Kristi mentioned), horrified by the brutal violence around the world - in Syria, in Kenya, and even America - I can rest knowing our God is in control and is working all things together to further his purposes, and he WILL prevail.

4)  I can look at my husband with renewed love and respect because I know that our marriage relationship is a picture of the love, joy and fulfillment between Christ and his Church, giving it deep meaning beyond what the world can understand.

5)  I can enjoy the springtime, smell the flowers, taste delicious food, revel in the softness of a cat's fur and the roughness of tree bark, knowing God has created all things for us to enjoy.  The physical world is God's creation, and although fallen, is still very good.

6)  I can work diligently at whatever the Lord puts in my hand, knowing everything is "sacred" work, even the mundane tasks, and I can be on the lookout for how God wants me to bless others through my work.

7)  I can stand firm when persecuted or distressed, knowing that whatever trials the Lord allows, they are ultimately for my good, and he is faithful to bring me through them, as through a refining fire.

8)  I can joyfully go to church on Sunday, knowing Christ has risen and I'm joined together with other believers in a unified Body to worship God, loving and caring for each other in community.

9)  I can feed that hungry person, help that single mother, take time to talk with someone who's discouraged, knowing that God has carefully placed me in their lives to show them the living Jesus.  (And they may be placed in mine to do the same.)

10)  I can lose myself in God's Word and prayer, knowing my soul can rest in him.  He loves me to draw near and he wants me to know him better so I can learn to pray his thoughts after him, to come along with him on his awesome adventure as he redeems his people.


Thanks, Kristi, for this opportunity to read Jo's book and share with each other in this forum.  Many blessings to all of you as the Lord continues to sanctify us and bring us to a fuller knowledge of his Son.  I'll finish with one of my favorite verses:

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free."  (Psalm 119:32)  Wheeeeeee!!!

1 comment:

  1. This was an excellent summary of the final chapter! Thanks so much Amy for the wonderful and applicable comments!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.