Remember the chapter in Little
Woman called “Jo Meets Apollyon”?
Jo’s hot temper won’t let her forgive Amy for burning her precious
stories, and because she hardens her heart, she almost loses Amy. Little Women,
and the Apollyon chapter in particular, definitely shaped me as child and later
as a mother. Like Jo, I had a hot temper that I did not know how to control. Like
Jo, I was often full of bitter remorse. Marmee soothed me as she soothed Jo; encouraged
me as she encouraged Jo; understood me
as she understood Jo. I was blown away
by this fictional mother, and I used to think, “When I am a mother, I’m going
to be just like Marmee.” Marmee: the
fount of all patience, wisdom, quietude, forbearance, self-sacrifice, and
love.
Well, I’ve been a mother for more than twenty-three years
now, and I’m still falling way short of Marmeehood. But Marmee is still my ideal, and I guess
you could call Little Women my “motherhood
bible.” I’ve read it more often as an
adult than I ever did as a child, and even now, if I am stealing a few moments
to relax in the tub or enjoy a quiet lunch and I don’t have time to start a new
book or read anything heavy, I’ll just grab Little
Women and open it at random and enjoy a chapter. I have read it so many times that I am as
familiar with the contents of my motherhood bible as I am with my Holy Bible.
But here’s the thing: Little
Women never gets old to me. I always
enjoy reading even a few lines. But I’m sad to say that, lately, Scripture has
gotten old. I try to read my Bible, but I get this impatient “I know all this
already” feeling that I never get with Alcott.
I never tire of Marmee’s gentle admonitions, but Paul’s seem repetitive.
Why should this be? It shouldn’t be – that I know! Little
Women is a wonderful book, but it’s children’s literature and it was written by
a woman of questionable doctrine to say the least. The Bible holds the words of eternal life,
written by men directly inspired by the Holy Spirit. It does indeed tell the
Greatest Story ever told – a story that did change the world and a story that
has the power to shape and change me more profoundly than anything else I could possibly read. Why then should the one book be ever-fresh and the other old hat?
In this first chapter, Jo Kadlecek writes, “Maybe I’ve come to view Christ’s
resurrection in the same way we would a really good action, adventure, and
romance movie all rolled into one.…We pop it in the DVD player to watch it one
more time before cleaning the house or going to work. We’re warm and fuzzy from
its familiarity but rarely changed by it. We don’t always know what to do with
it.”
That’s where I am.
Reading the adventures of the March family is soothing escapism. Reading
Holy Scripture is guilty agitation. I don’t know what to do with words that
should change me but don’t seem to. I’m
anxious about many things, including the fact that reading or hearing the Word
that should be a balm is often a source of more agitation. It’s a bit of a vicious circle - anxiety and
guilt feeding more anxiety and guilt.
But I have been here before. And I’ve been renewed in my
spirit before - through study, through fellowship – through God’s provision. I am praying that as we look for new insights
in these “old hat” stories and share our reflections with each other, my love
for my Savior and His powerful Word will be renewed and strengthened. I want that. But I know that even these dry
days are working for my good and God’s glory. I’m confident that He who began a good work in
me will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. And I trust that
through the power of my resurrected and living Savior I will someday be, not
like Marmee, but like Christ: the fount of all patience, wisdom, quietude,
forbearance, self-sacrifice, and love.
Dear Lord, grant that
I may find your Word a glorious feast of peace and promise that leads me to
more love, gratitude, and trust!
Beautifully said Carol. I'm blessed to get to read these postings....
ReplyDelete